June 19, 2011

Blame Cara Carroll...



Well ladies, two things can happen on a sunny Saturday in the middle of June. You can be expected to be at three places at once...ahem....baby shower at 2pm, cousin’s *precious* daughter’s birthday party at 11 am, and a friend’s birthday BBQ at 2pm OR you can find yourself sitting in front of your laptop while all of the aforementioned events are taking place.  WHO. In the world. Would do that?? Not this girl.  Me. I’m so cool. You don’t have to tell me. Blame Cara Carroll. She updated her blog and one click led to another click, that led to text messages to Stacy(without an E---and the “E” stands for Excellentamazingawesomeandcool, so we all know that she’s NOT those things now. You’re welcome for letting you in on that.) Back to Cara, she just HAD to put a link to “pinterest.” Well, I’ve never heard of it, so clearly I had to click on it. OHMYGRACIOUSGOODNESS (Yes, I know most people say, “goodness gracious.”) If you ever want to spend hours looking at things you are going to be obsessed with and want to make, do, cook, buy, then GO TO THAT SITE. Thank goodness I had my handy-dandy-never ever failed me sticky notes right next to me. I just started making lists of every cuteashell thing I saw. Why did I start making lists on sticky notes you ask? Isn’t that the WHOLE point of “pinterest” to PIN things to your page to remind you that you like them,want to make them, want to do them, want to cook them, yougetmydrift?? Yea, well, let me tell you. It’s like some sort of a Vegas nightclub that has a waiting list...an actual waiting list to get in to.  I signed up, eager to start “pinning” away and I get an email saying, “We’ll put you on our waiting list to get an invite to start pinning.” REALLY? Surely I didn’t just read that right. So, now I’m just waiting  impatiently patiently for my invite to this web.........site?   I guess I’ll stick to sticky notes until then. So, one thing that I loved that Cara had pinned was a memory jar. I’ll post the picture below. You could use the idea for your family or for your classroom. Cara’s idea was to write family memories from the year and read the memories from the jar on New Year’s Eve to reminisce with the fam. She also wrote how you could use it in your classroom by writing/having the kids write memories throughout the year and then reading them on the last day of school. CUH-UTE! Sold!  Ten days into summer and I’m planning for next year’s last day. Sounds logical. Next thing you know, I’m at Michael’s looking for the perfect jar that I can decorate and make cuteashell. I walk in, like LITERALLY didn’t even get to the sensor door thingy that opens into craft heaven when I saw these cute, bright-colored, CHEAP sand pail/buckets. One dollar make you holler! Oh yea, I forgot to mention my classroom is Hawaiian slash beach themed. When I saw these sand pails, I quickly dismissed the idea of the glass jar and decided I had to make a “Memory Pail,” if you will. (And I think you will.)  Mission: Make it cute. Remember people, I mentioned in my last post that I’m not “make everything cute” by nature. I’m far from it. Let’s say if there was a scale of making everything cute, my fellow blogger Stacy (yea, the one who hasn’t blogged yet because she’s been too busy planning a family party and making EVERYTHING cuteashell.  You should see the pictures, folks. CUH to the UTE.) Anyway, if there was a scale, she’d be a 10 and I’d be a 4.5, and I’m being  very generous. What I’m really saying is, I’m going to post a picture of my Memory Pail and it’s not near as cute as what her finished product would be, but I’m still proud of it because I’m learning and growing and I’m MAKING PROGRESS!! That’s what we want from our kids, right?? J I grabbed a couple of pails and really had no idea what I wanted to do with them since I JUST found the steal of a deal. My original plan had to be thrown out the window.  I walked around looking for something to catch my eye, but ended up at the scrapbook sticker/adhesive aisle. I found some packs of stickers that would be cute and went with it! I’m also going to make slips of paper to put by the pail. I’m thinking about working this in with Daily 5- Work on Writing. I’ll post the slips I make on the next post BECAUSE I’m not done with them yet and really wanted to have a second post for our newashell  blog I’m going to post something else in a day or two. Hint: It will be the reason for sand pail #2 that I bought today. Anyway ladies, the point of this post is just to give you a fun little idea for your classroom. (And mostly so I’m not the only weird one planning something for the last day of school NEXT year.)  Think about how you could make it fit your theme...if you have one.  I’d love to hear your ideas. Also, I think it’s funny that I woke up today with plans to do drive-bys at three parties and instead got rejected put on a waiting list for a website, spent way too much time on said website, made an impromptu trip to Michaels, and had a finished product(well I still have to make the slips) of something hopefully my new kiddos will enjoy all school year! Have a great Sunday and Happy Father’s Day!!!

--StacE(xcellentamazingawesomeandcool)y OUT!


Memory Jar




Memory Pail  (This picture is taken 137 years from now.)
 

Side View


No comments:

Post a Comment